IRGC initiates live fire military drills as US-Iran talks in Geneva conclude

A second round of US-Iran negotiations in Geneva concluded after approximately three hours, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stating that the parties reached an understanding on several key principles.
Still, Aragchi told reporters that major gaps remained between the United States and Iran, adding that the presence of some understanding "does not mean we will reach an agreement soon."
Iranian parliament National Security Committee spokesman Ebrahim Rezaei stated earlier that core issues had already been agreed upon, whilst clarifying that uranium enrichment and the removal of Iran's nuclear stockpiles from the country were not on the table.
Despite indicating a preference for a diplomatic solution to the tension over military action, US President Donald Trump signalled his military’s willingness to act. "We could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2s in to knock out their nuclear potential. And we had to send the B-2s," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, adding: "I hope they're going to be more reasonable."
The diplomatic talks are unfolding against a backdrop of significant military posturing by both sides. Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei posted a message in Hebrew on X, warning: "More dangerous than an American warship, it is a weapon that can send it to the bottom of the sea," in what appeared to be a direct response to American questions regarding Iran's ballistic missile stockpiles. According to N12, Khamenei directly threatened the US during negotiations, stating: "The strongest army in the world can sometimes be hit so hard that it can't get up."
"They keep saying that we sent an aircraft carrier towards Iran. Well, an aircraft carrier is of course a dangerous tool, but more dangerous than the aircraft carrier is the weapon that can send the aircraft carrier to the bottom of the sea," Khamenei continued.
Earlier on February 17, Iran's Fars news agency reported that the Strait of Hormuz would be closed for safety reasons. While the IRGC moved into the area the previous day, it began conducting live fire drills in the Strait after the talks in Geneva commenced.
The US has undertaken its own military preparations, deploying the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world's largest aircraft carrier, to the Middle East, where it is set to join the USS Abraham Lincoln in the region, alongside 18 additional F-35 jets.
Unlock premium news, Start your free trial today.


