Health crisis hits Indonesia as millions lose insurance

The opening months of 2026 have proven to be a grim era for the Indonesian medical landscape. A controversial mandate issued by Social Affairs Minister Saifullah Yusuf, known as Regulation 3/HUK/2026, has sparked widespread public outcry.
This directive ordered the removal of 11mn individuals from the state-funded health insurance scheme, BPJS Kesehatan (National Health Healthcare Agency), specifically those categorised as Contribution Assistance Recipients (PBI), Kompas reports.
While the stated objective was to refine the Unified Socio-Economic Data (DTSEN) to ensure aid reaches the most deserving, the practical execution has triggered a humanitarian emergency. The mass deactivation highlighted the precarious nature of Indonesia's social safety net, whereby bureaucratic data synchronisation often takes precedence over the immediate life-saving needs of the general public, particularly the impoverished.
The PBI category is a major pillar of Indonesia's JKN (National Health Insurance) system, solely for the impoverished and people living below the poverty line. Unlike salaried employees or independent subscribers who pay monthly premiums, members of PBI have their costs entirely covered by the central or regional governments, Detik Health writes. As a result, their access to health care services is entirely conditioned by the poverty data verified by the Ministry of Social Affairs.
This policy has had a devastating effect on low-income homes as the experience of Ajat, a 37-year-old itinerant ice seller from Lebak, Banten illustrates. Ajat, who is now battling kidney failure, suddenly lost access to free care. Detik Health said his coverage was pulled without notice while he was undergoing treatment at Dr. Adjidarmo General Hospital in Rangkasbitung.
Ajat’s situation is just one symptom of a much bigger crisis though. Tony Richard Samosir, chairperson of the Dialysis Patient Community, told Kompas that at least 160 kidney failure patients have faced similar challenges, losing their rights to free intervention due to sudden deactivation. The crisis is extending out of Java; in Ambon, Maluku, Kompas said that Mayor Bodewin Melkias Wattimena said nearly 25,000 residents who previously depended on state-funded insurance have recently been removed from the registry.
In response to the situation, Indonesian House of Representatives (DPR) summoned Social Affairs Minister Saifullah Yusuf, BPJS Kesehatan President Director Ali Ghufron Mukti, Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin, and Finance Minister Purbaya Yudhi Sadewa. The high-level meeting, chaired by Deputy Speaker Sufmi Dasco Ahmad on February 9, 2026, sought to address the systemic failures causing this hardship.
Kompas, however, now reports that following the deliberations, the legislative and executive branches have reached a compromise. The deactivation process, which commenced on February 1, will now be suspended for a three-month period. During this time frame, the government promises to maintain its services and continue funding for all affected PBI members. As such, in the year ahead, about 120,000 deactivated members battling catastrophic illnesses are being reinstated. More refined figures indicate that the Ministry of Social Affairs has confirmed 106,000 such cases, while BPJS Kesehatan estimates that the total may end up at 102,921. Overall PBI membership in Indonesia is utilised by millions.
Certainly, data accuracy is important for fiscal responsibility, but the sudden suspension of benefits for millions highlights a serious empathy deficiency in the execution of policy in Indonesia. The three-month temporary reprieve now provides a momentary distraction from pain, but if administrative adjustments are to be turned into a death sentence for Indonesia’s most at-risk people, they need a more compassionate, communication-heavy approach.
Unlock premium news, Start your free trial today.


