Ex-presidential aide’s arrest deepens scrutiny of corruption risks in wartime Ukraine

The release on bail of former Ukrainian presidential office chief Andriy Yermak in a major corruption and money laundering investigation has intensified scrutiny of Kyiv’s anti-corruption drive at a sensitive moment for the country, as it seeks continued Western financial support and advances its bid for European Union membership, reported The Kyiv Independent.
Yermak, once regarded as President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s most influential political lieutenant, was freed from pre-trial detention on May 18 after supporters paid UAH140mn ($3.1mn) in bail, days after a court ordered him held for two months pending trial.
The case centres on allegations that more than UAH460mn ($8.9mn) were laundered between 2021 and 2025 through the construction of an elite residential complex in Kozyn, an affluent suburb south of Kyiv known for housing Ukraine’s political and business elite.
Investigators from Ukraine’s National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU) allege that the funds originated from a kickback scheme linked to state nuclear energy company Energoatom. According to prosecutors, contractors working with the state monopoly were allegedly required to pay commissions of between 10% and 15% to senior officials in exchange for retaining supplier status and avoiding obstruction of their contracts.
Prosecutors say one of four luxury homes financed through the alleged scheme was intended for Yermak himself.
The investigation has widened into one of the most politically sensitive anti-corruption probes since the war in Ukraine began in 2022. Six additional suspects have been charged, including former deputy prime minister Oleksii Chernyshov and businessman Timur Mindich, previously linked to Zelenskiy through entertainment ventures before the president entered politics.
Yermak has denied all accusations, describing the case as baseless and politically motivated. Speaking after his release, he said he had no intention of leaving Ukraine and pledged to continue supporting military personnel, prisoners of war and humanitarian causes.
“I haven’t fled, nor do I intend to,” he said, adding that he would appeal the court ruling.
Under the terms of his release, Yermak must wear an electronic monitoring bracelet, remain in Kyiv unless granted permission to travel, surrender his foreign passports and avoid contact with other suspects in the case.
The payment of such a large bail sum has also attracted public attention. Ukrainian media reported that the funds were collected from multiple sources, including contributions from Serhii Rebrov, the former head coach of Ukraine’s national football team.
The case comes as Ukraine faces mounting pressure from Western governments and international lenders to demonstrate progress in tackling high-level corruption despite the strains of wartime governance. Anti-corruption reform remains a central condition for continued assistance from the IMF and EU, both of which have tied future financing to institutional reforms and judicial independence.
Since the invasion, Ukraine has sought to portray itself as both militarily resilient and institutionally reform-minded, arguing that the war should not halt efforts to improve transparency and governance. Several senior officials have been dismissed or investigated over corruption allegations in recent years, including figures close to the presidential administration.
At the same time, critics inside Ukraine argue that selective prosecutions and political rivalries continue to complicate the anti-corruption campaign, particularly when cases involve individuals formerly associated with the country’s top leadership.
The investigation into Yermak is likely to remain closely watched not only within Ukraine, but also by Kyiv’s international partners, who see institutional credibility as critical to sustaining long-term military and economic support.
Unlock premium news, Start your free trial today.
