Washington turns Venezuela playbook on Cuba, but finds a harder nut to crack
.jpeg)
In a single day on May 20, Washington charged former Cuban president Raúl Castro with murder, sent a carrier strike group into the Caribbean and offered the island $100mn in aid with important strings attached, in a calculated display of pressure that marks the most dramatic escalation in US-Cuba relations since the Cold War.
Castro, 94, faces one count of conspiracy to kill US nationals, four counts of murder and two counts of aircraft destruction, all stemming from the February 24, 1996 downing of two Cessna planes operated by Cuban exile group Brothers to the Rescue by Cuban air force MiG jets over what international aviation authorities later determined was international waters. Three US citizens and one Cuban-American were killed.
At the centre of the indictment is an 11-minute audio recording, held by US intelligence for decades but never previously acted upon, in which a voice alleged to be Castro's instructs MiG pilots to down the aircraft. "Knock them down into the sea when they reappear," the voice says, according to USA Today. A declassified 1996 intelligence memorandum noted uncertainty over whether the voice was definitively Castro's.
Acting attorney general Todd Blanche, speaking at Miami's Freedom Tower on Cuba's Independence Day, declined to rule out military action to compel Castro's appearance before a US court. "This isn't a show indictment," he said. "There was a warrant issued for his arrest, so we expect that he will show up here by his own will or by another way." Asked whether the administration would consider military action to seize Castro, Blanche deferred to the White House; the White House referred reporters back to the Justice Department.
The announcement drew an immediate parallel with the January operation against Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro, who was indicted on drug trafficking charges before being seized in a special forces raid on his Caracas residence and taken to New York to face prosecution. The White House made the connection explicit, writing on May 20, "The indictment and removal of Maduro sent a clear message to his socialist allies in Havana. This is our hemisphere and those that destabilise it and threaten the United States will face consequences."
Florida congresswoman María Elvira Salazar, speaking at a Washington press conference in front of a poster showing Maduro labelled "CAPTURED", the late Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei marked "ELIMINATED" and Raúl Castro stamped "PENDING", addressed the former president directly. "You have the option not to wind up where Maduro is. You can leave now," she said, as reported by the Miami Herald.
Cuba's government pushed back forcefully, if predictably. President Miguel Díaz-Canel called the indictment "a political action, lacking any legal basis," and accused Washington of fabricating a case to justify military aggression. Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez said the charges rested "on lies" and hid "duly documented historical truths," insisting the shootdown occurred in Cuban airspace and constituted a legitimate act of self-defence.
Yet the indictment's practical prospects remain limited. Castro, who appeared publicly in Cuba earlier this month, faces the death penalty if convicted. The communist-run island has no extradition treaty with the United States, and the Cuban government will not surrender a former president and revolutionary figurehead to American justice. "The prospects that Raúl Castro will end up in a US court are infinitesimal," Orlando J. Pérez, a professor of political science at the University of North Texas at Dallas, wrote on X. "It's hard to see how this ends up as anything other than a huge symbolic show to satisfy the anxieties of the Cuban-American constituency ahead of the midterms." The indictment has nonetheless "created a fig leaf of legality for any military operations to seize or assassinate Raúl Castro," US analyst Peter Kornbluh told Reuters.
The military dimension of the standoff sharpened further on May 20 when US Southern Command announced the arrival of the USS Nimitz carrier strike group in the Caribbean. The vessel, carrying more than 60 combat aircraft including F/A-18E Super Hornets, conducted joint exercises with the Brazilian navy last week before heading north, as reported by The Hill.
The deployment follows a well-worn playbook: before the January 3 operation that captured Maduro, the Pentagon had positioned the USS Gerald R. Ford carrier strike group off the Venezuelan coast, using the carrier's presence as both a military instrument and a signal of intent. President Donald Trump, who repeatedly vowed to "take over" the island in recent months, told reporters the administration had Cuba "on our mind" but stopped short of confirming any military intentions. "I don't want to say that," he replied when asked whether he planned to follow the indictment with military action.
The charges land at a moment of acute crisis on the island. Cuba declared total fuel exhaustion last week, with energy minister Vicente de la O Levy confirming the island held no diesel, no fuel oil and no reserves, triggering the largest street protests in Havana since the US de facto oil blockade was imposed in January. The blockade, put in place after the US-led operation that removed Maduro and severed Cuba's dominant source of subsidised Venezuelan oil, has driven the island to the brink of collapse. Cuba has endured seven nationwide blackouts since 2024, and the United Nations declared the embargo "unlawful." Earlier this week, intelligence cited by Axios revealed Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones from Russia and Iran and held internal discussions about potential strikes on US installations, including the naval base at Guantánamo Bay.
Renewing a previously floated offer, Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered $100mn in food and medicine aid in a Spanish-language video message released on Cuba's Independence Day, conditioning distribution on the Catholic Church and independent charitable organisations rather than the Cuban state.
Cuba's embassy in Washington was scathing in its response, accusing Rubio of duplicity in offering aid with one hand while maintaining what it called "cruel and ruthless aggression" against the island with the other.
Whether the latest indictment amounts to a prelude to some kind of military action or merely a pressure tactic designed to accelerate a negotiated transition remains, for now, deliberately ambiguous. Limited contacts between the two sides have continued: CIA director John Ratcliffe visited Havana on May 14 to discuss intelligence co-operation and security issues, though analysts said the indictment was likely to narrow those channels further. With a carrier strike group now in the Caribbean, Russian and Iranian drones reportedly capable of striking US installations and an elderly former president facing a murder warrant, the rivalry that has defined hemispheric politics since 1959 has entered uncharted territory.
The Maduro comparison, meanwhile, has its limits. In Venezuela, fragmented loyalties and acting president Delcy Rodríguez's willingness to throw open the country's oil and mining sectors to US investment provided the transition with a ready-made framework. Cuba's power structure is more hermetically sealed, its Marxist-Leninist ideology not a veneer as in Caracas but the founding grammar of the entire state. And unlike Venezuela, it has virtually no organised domestic opposition to fill the space a leadership change would create. Washington may have a playbook, but whether Cuba is a game it can win is a different question entirely.
Unlock premium news, Start your free trial today.
.jpeg)
_Cropped_(1).jpg)
