Azerbaijan expands prosecutions of exiled critics with new charges and extradition attempts

Azerbaijan has brought criminal charges against at least three exiled government critics and summoned several others for questioning, in a widening campaign targeting journalists, historians and political figures living abroad, according to OC Media.
Historian Altay Goyushov, who resides in France, was placed in pre-trial detention in absentia in February on allegations of making open calls for violence against the state. Meydan TV reported that he was summoned earlier in November by the Prosecutor General’s Office to be “acquainted” with the charges.
US-based politician Arastun Orujlu has been accused of calling for mass unrest and inciting violence against citizens and the state. He denied the accusations in comments published by RFE/RL, stating he had never called for a coup or rebellion. He said he was willing to answer all questions and described talk of the rule of law in Azerbaijan as “nonsense”, adding that those responsible for abuses were routinely protected.
Pro-government outlet Qafqazinfo reported that exiled journalist Ganimat Zahid, who lives in France, has also been charged with making open calls for violence against the state. According to the indictment, Zahid allegedly posted such appeals on YouTube on July 4 and 18, 2018. A court in Baku ordered four months of pre-trial detention in his absence.
Two more US-based media figures, journalist Beydulla Manafov and video blogger Vagif Allahverdiev, were also summoned. Manafov was scheduled for questioning on November 20 on accusations of inciting racial, social or religious hatred. He responded online saying he had never been an Azerbaijani citizen after independence and has held US citizenship since 1997. According to pro-government outlet Oxu, Allahverdiev was charged and detained in absentia in February for alleged incitement of violence.
Public Television later announced that US-based journalist Sevinj Mirzayeva (Osmangizi), founder of Osmangizi TV, had also been charged with making calls for violence. She told RFE/RL the accusations were expected, arguing that any journalist broadcasting daily on YouTube and criticising the authorities could become a target. She denied the charges, comparing them to politically motivated prosecutions during Soviet-era purges.
Alongside criminal cases, authorities have begun seeking extraditions. Qazetci, a Facebook-based news page, reported that Switzerland’s Federal Ministry of Justice refused an extradition request for blogger Manaf Jalilzada, who had been accused by Azerbaijani prosecutors of inciting violence on February 27. Swiss authorities cited risks of torture and violations of fair-trial rights should he be returned. Jalilzada described the allegations as baseless, while the page speculated that the charges may be linked to his 2022 protest in front of the Palace of Nations in Geneva.
Unlock premium news, Start your free trial today.


